Thursday, September 18, 2014

“A different language is a different vision of life”


When I first arrived in Mexico, I began to realize how much I DIDN’T know about the country, the culture, and its history.  It’s actually embarrassing not having much knowledge about the culture of a bordering country.  A few weeks have passed and I have been picking up more Spanish and cultural facts just by observing and interacting with my surroundings.
Adding to my previous list, here are ten more cultural differences I’ve noticed:
 
1)      Tortillas are eaten with every meal.  Yes, they are eaten with everything, even with Spring Rolls.  When I’m back in the US, tortilla withdrawals are likely to occur.

2)      Using an invented measurement of “Americans,” sidewalks in Mexico are approximately one American wide. This makes it difficult sometimes to walk past people without running into them or stepping in the street and getting run over by a car. But don’t worry, there’s a form of “excuse me” in Spanish that is used when trying to pass someone: con permiso.

3)      Students always ask to come into the classroom and to leave the classroom. For example, if a student is a couple minutes late, they will ask “Teacher, may I come in?”

4)      For the last month I haven’t worn a seatbelt, considering seatbelts in backseats tend to not exist. I’ve also gotten used to crossing busy streets and weaving through traffic on crowded streets.

5)      Unlike in France where you kiss people on both cheeks as a greeting, in Mexico you greet people with a kiss on only one cheek.

6)      Coke is extremely popular and is offered at every lunch.

7)      Sundays are family day. Family would always be over at the house on Sunday, even though being with family is valued every day in Mexico.  It’s an important part of their culture, and I was lucky enough to experience that with my host family.  I even got to hold my host mom’s one-day-old great grandson.

8)      Toilet paper is usually found outside bathroom stalls in public places.  But often it’s BYOTP (bring your own toilet paper).

9)      It’s cheaper to pee in Mexico than it is in France.

10)   Students are often late to class, as time is not as strict as it is in the US.  It’s a slower moving culture and people aren’t always rushing places.  There is even a verb in Spanish for wandering aimlessly or sauntering lazily: Pajarear

My host mom
             As my trip to Mexico comes to an end, I just want to thank all of you who made my experience in Mexico what it was.  First of all, thanks to my parents for giving me this opportunity.  Thanks to my host mom Yolanda for being patient with my Spanish, encouraging me, teaching me Spanish, and always making me feel at home. Thanks to all my TESL friends for all the laughs and good times. Thanks to my housemate for putting up with me 24/7 and for always letting me run through my lessons with you. Thanks to my mentoring teacher at the UAQ for all the advice and for letting me be a part of your classroom. Thanks to all my students for being such a supportive group and for letting me teach you.  Thanks to my Spanish/culture teacher for all you taught me, for making class fun, and mainly for putting up with me in class! =P  I cried at the end of my trip because of all of you. But I think back to what one of my professors in France once told me: “I love when students cry at the end of their stay because it means they were happy to be here.”   I was sad to leave Mexico, but I am grateful for those tears because they meant that for the past month I was happy and had yet again another unforgettable experience.  
The TESL group

My housemate
 


















My Spanish/Culture professor

Learning about the world is achieved best by living in different cultures and learning their language.  Because one can only truly understand the values and viewpoints of a culture by speaking their native tongue.  I can’t wait for my next opportunity to see the world and wonders of life through a foreign language.  Stay tuned.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment